Nautilus Scientific Process Engineering Software comprises:
- Mold Machine Compatibility Matrix
- 6-Step Scientific Molding Worksheets
- Design of Experiments (DOE)
The software includes three databases; one each for materials, molds and machines. All the information regarding each of these can be stored in the databases. The databases can be customized as per the requirement and the needs of the user. The databases can also be imported from existing databases.
Mold Machine Compatibility Matrix
Based on the information input in the databases, the software will create a matrix showing the compatible molding machines for a selected mold. The selection is based on required tonnage, % shot size used, material residence time, the physical size of the mold and other criteria that can be selected by the user.
6-Step Study Worksheets
These are the studies that are done to find the most robust areas of the molding processes.
Step 1: Viscosity Curve
- Shows effect of injection speed on viscosity
- Shows the most consistent region of viscosity and helps in shot to shot consistency
Step 2: Cavity Balance Study
- Shows the fill balance between all the cavities
- Helps in achieving better cavity to cavity consistency
Step 3: Pressure Drop Study
- Does the machine have enough pressure?
- Is the process pressure limited?
Step 4: Cosmetic Process Window Study
- Shows the extent of capability of the mold to make cosmetically acceptable parts
- Bigger the window, better are the chances of consistency
Step 5: Gate Seal Study
- Shows when the gate seals
- Helps in shot to shot consistency
Step 6: Cooling Time Study
- Shows the effect of cooling time
- Improves efficiency
Design of Experiments (DOE)
DOEs are performed by selecting a set of molding parameters that are thought to make a difference in the quality of the part. The software has easy drop down menus to select the parameters and their upper and lower limits. Based on the number of parameters and the information provided by the user, a set of experiments is provided to the users. Parts are molded at these setting and measured for the required dimensions and quality. The data is then input into the worksheets and is then analyzed. The analysis provides information about the influence of each of the selected molding parameters and also visually shows the possibility of molding acceptable parts. The following are the various outputs from the software:
- The Tornado Chart: Similar to a Pareto Chart, it provides the info on the factors that have the most influence on the quality of the part.
- The Process Sensitivity Graph: This is a line graph showing how a selected dimension responds to each of the experiments run. A dimension that is very sensitive to the parameter shows a large variation whereas those that are not easily affected show less variation.
- The Dynamic Process Window: This graph provides an estimate of the ease or difficulty of molding acceptable parts. A solid green line shows the nominal and the solid orange lines show the upper and lower specification limits. The green lines show the parts being within the specifications and the the red lines are those out of specification.
- Numeric Prediction Equation: This provides the predicted values of the dimensions at the process selected by the user.
- Visual Prediction Equation: This provides a graphical representation of the dimensions of the part at the process selected. It will also predict the most optimum process for a set of selected processes.
Apart from the features mentioned above, there are other features that can be used for documentation, checking the quality and various calculation tools.
With the increasing use of advanced concepts in Injection Molding, Scientific Molding Software and Design of Experience Software for Injection Molding are becoming increasingly necessary to manage the projects more efficiently. Maes Insights provides the training in Scientific Injection Molding and also provides the tools for all the molding qualifictions and molding validations. The use of Scientific Molding has greatly enhanced the efficiency of the molding operations.More information?